2017 Award Information
Deadline for submissions: February 15, 2017
Dr. Hiram N. Lasher, was born in 1920 in Sunrise Farm, Catskill, NY; D.V.M., 1942, Cornell. Taking the advice of his mentor, Dr. C. A. Bottorff, to gain field experience, Dr. Lasher devoted the first part of his career to eradication of pullorum disease in New York and to diagnostics on Delmarva. He then established three successful poultry vaccine enterprises over the ensuing four decades – DPL/Sterwin Laboratories, ICB/Intervet and Lasher Associates, Inc., developing numerous innovative vaccines in the process. In addition, he co-founded the first specific-pathogen-free egg production facility and helped guide federal policy-making in regulation of vaccines. Internationally, Dr. Lasher is known as a pioneer in poultry biologics and a consultant in vaccine technology transfer.
This award was made possible by a generous gift from Dr. Hiram Lasher in honor of Dr. C. A. Bottorff. Dr. Bottorff had an illustrious career as a poultry industry veterinarian with Lederle Laboratories and was actively involved in the early development of the AAAP. He served as vice president in 1965-66 and president in 1966-67. The first award was given in 1988.
The C.A. Bottorff Award is given to recognize an avian diagnostician/technical service veterinarian who has contributed significantly to the poultry health program in North America in the past 10 years. The award shall be in the amount of $1,000.00.
The recipient must be a veterinarian, a member of the AAAP, and may be affiliated with a government agency, academia or industry. The criteria for selection of the recipient are:
- Primary involvement in avian diagnostic work and/or technical service to the poultry industry in the past ten years (laboratory and/or field work).
- Demonstration of sincere concern and effort to identify and resolve the poultry industry’s flock health problems.
- Documentation of significant contribution to the poultry industry.
Awards will be based on the following:
- The cover letter is a letter of nomination.
- No more than three seconding letters.
- Statement concerning the nominee’s involvement and expertise as a diagnostician.
- Biographical Information 1 - education.
- Biographical Information 2 - professional position(s).
- Additional biographical information considered pertinent to this award.
- List of previous awards or honors.
- Statement of impact on others.
Previous winners of this award are:
L. Dwight Schwartz
Calvin E. Anthony
G. Thomas Holder
G. Yan Ghazikhanian
Simon M. Shane
John A. Smith
Charles L. Hofacre
Please send nominations by mail, or E-mail (preferred) to:
American Association of Avian Pathologists
12627 San Jose Blvd., Suite 202
Jacksonville, FL 32223-8638